This recipe makes two loaves of this moist and flavorful cake. Wrap one in plastic and foil, and freeze for future snacking.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp ground allspice
5 tbsp butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 small apples, thinly sliced and tossed with the juice of half a lemon
1⁄8 tsp salt
1. Set oven rack to the middle shelf and preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 8×4-inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
3. Place butter and sugar in another large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium for 2 minutes, then beat in eggs.
4. On low speed, beat in half of the flour mixture and half of the applesauce. Add remaining flour and apple sauce. Mix thoroughly.
5. Divide batter between the two loaf pans. Arrange apple slices and blueberries on top.
6. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clear. Cool on a wire rack and invert to remove.
Makes 2 loaves, 12 slices per loaf
Nutrition information per slice: 110 calories, 3 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 11 g sugars, 2 g protein, 70 mg sodium
Share this post if you enjoyed! 🙂