If you enjoy recipes like this, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App, it’s available for both Android and iPhone and has free and paid versions. The app is loaded with thousands of allergy-friendly & vegan recipes/cooking tips, has hundreds of search filters and features like bookmarking, meal plans and more! The app shows you how having diet/health/food preferences can be full of delicious abundance rather than restrictions!
This healthy vegan chocolate cake has an amazing cranberry dressing, and is even better drizzled with crushes pistachios. Just resist the urge to have a slice for breakfast, or finishing the entire thing in one sitting. It’s dangerously delicious!
Healthy Chocolate Cranberry Cake [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (add more to taste)
- 2-5 drops of stevia
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cake pan, we used a 9×9 glass Pyrex (can also use a round pan) and set aside.
- Start with making the cake. First mix flax and coconut milk in a small bowl and allow to gel.
- Next in a large bowl add: almond meal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, arrowroot, coconut sugar, cranberries and 1/4 of chocolate chips. Mix well.
- In a small sauce pan melt coconut oil, cacao and chocolate chips until almost all the chocolate chips are melted. Stir that and remaining cake ingredients into the large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour contents into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- After baking allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting by placing all ingredients in a food processor and processing until smooth.
- Make the cranberry sauce by placing cranberries in a sauce pan with the water and turn to medium high, cover with a lid.
- When cranberries start to expand and pop, turn heat down to medium low and remove the pan.
- With a potato masher, mash the cranberries until flat.
- Add sweetener, these are really tart but with the chocolate it’s a nice balance. Feel free to make it sweeter.
- Remove from heat and add to a food processor, process until really smooth.
- Once brownies are cool, frost with frosting, then add cranberry sauce. You can pipe on the sauce but it’s a little tricky, or you can just add a scoop before serving and top with pistachios. If you have a nut allergy just skip the nuts – they are still awesome.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: