You are here
Home > Human Fattening > Fire breaks out at West Virginia crematorium after body fat from corpse leaks out onto the floor and ignites

Fire breaks out at West Virginia crematorium after body fat from corpse leaks out onto the floor and ignites


Fire breaks out at West Virginia crematorium after body fat from corpse leaks out onto the floor and ignites

  • The fire broke out within the crematorium at Cooke Funeral Home in Nitro, West Virginia on Tuesday
  • Fat from the body of the person being cremated had spilled out of the crematorium chamber and onto the floor 
  • The searing bodily fluids caused the concrete to catch fire
  • Employees at the crematorium managed to contain the blaze with extinguishers until fire crews arrived  

A fire has broken out at a West Virginia crematorium after body fat from a corpse that was being cremated leaked out onto the floor and ignited. 

The fire broke out within the crematorium at Cooke Funeral Home in Nitro on Tuesday.  

Fat from the body of the person being cremated had spilled out of the crematorium chamber and onto the floor.

The searing bodily fluids caused the concrete to catch fire. 

The fire broke out within the crematorium at Cooke Funeral Home in Nitro on Tuesday when body fat from a corpse that was being cremated leaked out onto the floor and ignited

Employees at the crematorium managed to contain the blaze to the one room using two fire extinguishers. 

St. Albans Fire Department managed to put out the blaze soon after. 

The fire, which broke out at about 10.45am, caused minimal damage to the crematorium. 

No injuries were reported. 

A similar fire broke out in Cincinnati in 2017 when an ‘overly obese’ corpse was being cremated. 

Excessive fat from the corpse caused the flames to become too hot and spread to other nearby containers at the Hillside Chapel Crematory. 

Fire crews battled the flames for two hours before they were able to get it under control. 

An 800 pound body also caused a fire at a crematorium in Richmond, Virginia back in 2014. 

Officials in that case said the large amount of fat on the corpse created excessive heat and oil once the cremation process had started. 

‘The body was so obese that the actual body fat came off and went straight up the sack and hit the roof material,’ the owner of the Southside Cremation Services said at the time. 

‘My guys, we did all we could. Once it started, the grease hit the roof and started the fire, the only thing we could do is dial 911 and get the fire department here.’ 

Advertisement



Source link

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Top