Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Try this healthy winter beet and pomegranate salad this holiday season! Check out the recipe on this episode fo Best Bites!
- 6 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6-8 cups mustard greens or mixed greens
- Arils from 1-2 pomegranates
- Orange segments from 2 oranges
- 6 ounces gorgonzola cheese crumbed (may also use goat cheese or feta)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fig preserves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven 400 degrees F.
- Put the beets on a parchment-lined roasting pan, add oil, apple cider vinegar, pepper and salt, toss. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until lightly charred and tender. Allow to cool before cutting and adding to the salad.
- Meanwhile, line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the pecans to the baking sheet and toss with the maple syrup, cayenne and a pinch of salt. Bake (at 400 degrees F.) for 15-25 minutes, stirring 2-3 time throughout cooking until the pecans are toasted and golden. Remove from the oven and spread the pecans in one layer. Allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fig preserves and a pinch of salt + pepper in a bowl or glass jar.
- Add the greens to a large bowl. Add the beets and orange segments, and drizzle some dressing. Add pecans, gorgonzola cheese and pomegranate arils.
Other holiday recipes we love:
Recipes using eggnog